Portadown Ladies Choir was formed in September 1951 by the late John Donnan, who at the time was Organist and Choirmaster at St. Mark’s Parish Church, Portadown.
The first practice was held in Church Street Elementary School and Roll Book shows that the initial choir had 41 members, (16 First Sopranos, 10 Second Sopranos. 8 First Altos and 7 Second Altos).
At its first concert held on 28th February 1952 in the Town Hall, Portadown, the artists were The Studio String Orchestra (Conductor Havelock Nelson), Jan Van Der Gucht (Tenor), Renee Flynn (Soprano) and Gertrude D. Williams (Dramatic Recital). Mrs Meta Eakins was the Choir Accompanist and continued to serve as Honorary Accompanist for the next 25 years.
Over the past 62 years the Choir performed mainly in concerts and Sacred Recitals, but soon acquired a taste for festivals and competition work, competing all over the Province and the Republic of Ireland, winning many prestigious awards.
Apart from competition work the choir enjoys taking part in charity events and in particular the annual Carol Concert in St. Mark’s Church, Portadown, in partnership with Portadown Male Voice Choir, and in itself has raised more than £50,000 towards many very good causes.
The Choir looks forward to continuing their music making under their superb Musical Director, Gordon Speers for many years to come.